Saturday, February 9, 2008

Butt Is It Really Appetizing?

I recently went out to dinner at a restaurant on the West Coast and saw the following meal listed on the menu:

Brasato - Braised pork butt, lacinato kale with garlic, tomatoes, and rosemary potatoes

I don't eat meat, but I was surprised that the chef thought that using the word "butt" to describe any meal would be appetizing. I dare say that even meat eaters would agree with me. Right, Donald? (http://kerijam.blogspot.com/2007/07/interview-with-meat-eater.html).

When the waitress came by I decided to get to the bottom (pun intended) of the mystery. She said that she would ask the chef and get back to me. A few minutes later she returned and explained that the chef hates the word "rump" and refuses to have that word on the menu. Hence, the use of the more acceptable "butt".

Go figure. Don't mess with an artist.

3 comments:

Sando said...

I must say that it is quite interesting even for a meat eater as myself. Definitely "appetizing".

Tamii said...

If you're eating pork, you might as well as put some butt with it. No judgment though.

Keri said...

LOL. Sure, Tamii.