Sunday, February 17, 2008

Email - What is That?

I met someone recently on the subway - he was a gentleman in his 30s. We started to speak about email and the Internet. He looked confused when I said email. He actually said 'what is that?'. Somehow, I didn't fall off of my subway seat, but kept talking. I couldn't believe that a person in this day and age, someone of that age group even, living in the U.S of A, would not have used email, much less heard about it.

I frankly got a little scared for the fellow. I thought about the dinosaurs that became extinct and felt that the world would leave this poor man behind. I gently encouraged him to take a course so that he could get acquainted with the WWW. He smiled and agreed that he didn't want to be left in the Stone Age. Phew! He got the message.

Why intentionally make yourself extinct? Plus, who can remember life without email, blackberries, Google, the Internet, blogs, etc. And even if you could, why go back?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Keri! I think you are engaging in hyperbole with this blog!!! I firmly believe you misinterpreted this young man on the train, or you purposely blanked him out while he was talking!!! He actually was ignorant about WWW...email....yahoo...google...you tube...facebook......??whh!

As I said in an earlier commented in one of your previous blogs....I think you should write a book on your travels!!!!

Unknown said...

Keri! I think you are engaging in hyperbole with this blog!!! I firmly believe you misinterpreted this young man on the train, or you purposely blanked him out while he was talking!!! He actually was ignorant about WWW...email....yahoo...google...you tube...facebook......??whh!

As I said in an earlier commented in one of your previous blogs....I think you should write a book on your travels!!!!

Keri said...

LOL-No exaggeration here.

I actually had to ask him more than once to make sure I had heard him correctly. He had an impression of email and the Internet as a place where strangers interact and so said he preferred interacting via phone with people he knew. I explained that email was a great way to stay in touch with family and friends, particularly people in multiple global locations.

Trust me. It's a true story. It happened. But, I think he may soon leave the Stone Age. Well, I hope.

Angel Brown said...

Did you get his name? George Bushfire perhaps?