Friday, February 22, 2008

My 'Come Hither' Voice

Arranging to be picked up from the airport can be interesting. During my interactions with the various booking representatives, I have been addressed as "sir", more than once. Funnily enough, this is after I have been on the phone speaking for over a minute. I always laughingly tell the reps. that I am a "lady", and they always apologize profusely.

The "sir" phenomenon does not happen every time I call...actually, it occurs in less than 1% of my interactions. Either way, I don't lose any sleep over it. I say, go ahead, call me "sir" if you like...I will chalk it up to my having a great "come hither voice". Right???

*Sigh* What's a "sir" to do? ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Today I was in a restaurant with my sister who is eight years my junior, and I was addressed MUMMY! I asked the man, 'do I look old enough to be her mother?!' Then he said sorry 'ELDER" I was just addressing you that out of respect! I don't know which address was worse!!! Two weeks ago I was addressed as 'Madam' Now that made me feel ancient!!!

I've only been called 'sir' when my students' tongues slip while addressing me in class every now and then!

Keri said...

LOL. I think Madam is nice - almost like you are royalty :)