Friday, February 8, 2008

Mum, when I grow up I want to run around naked




Mark Roberts is one of the world's most famous serial streakers. He has streaked at the FA Cup Final. Streaked at a Mr. Universe Contest and a Miss Word contest. Streaked at the bull run in Pamplona. Streaked at the Royal Ascot. Streaked at Wimbledon. Even streaked at the Super Bowl where Janet Jackson had her infamous wardrobe malfunction. Mark has streaked his way into stardom, sharing what his 'mama gave him' over 300 times to International audiences.


Mark's passion is to bring laugher to the world. "I don't have much going for me down there, so when I run out on the field, people think I'm a woman with small breasts," Roberts said. "But I'm not even conscious of it. We are what we are. I just want to make people laugh."


So, how does one end up becoming a full-time serial streaker? Mark started in 1993 as part of a drunken bet. After seeing a female streaker at a rugby match in Hong Kong, Mark told his friends that anyone could streak. They dared him, and in a drunken stupor he agreed and streaked twice. And he continued to build dramatically from that point on. Mark's mother says that he "was a normal kid but all of the sudden got a little crazy. I think I must have dropped him on his head or something."


Mark's "job" is not without its risks. He has had to pay fines and court costs. "It's the only job where I have to pay to go to work," Roberts said. "But every time you plan on doing something like this, you're going to get caught." In addition, Mark is banned from attending any soccer game in England and Wales. He needs to surrender his passport and important documents before football games and his passport forbids him from ever entering Hong Kong.


Mark is still motivated by having a laugh and so retirement may not come for some time. In the interim, Mark is enjoying his popularity and is able to support himself based on corporate donations and funds from his friends.





No comments: