Saturday, November 10, 2007

I walked on fire and burneth not!!



The coals had been burning for several hours. The average temperature was now at about 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit. I stood in front of the bed of coals and got nervous.

Earlier, we went through a pep talk with Tony Robbins preparing for our fire walk. Images of singed flesh, deformed feet, and falling flat on your face, were not good we were told. Don't pay any attention to the fact that Tony got burned years ago - it happened after he completed the walk, because coals stuck to his feet. Forget the fact that he burned off flesh and got a huge bag of pus on his foot. No, think positive, get your mind in peak state. Tony has been doing this for years and no one has been injured.

I was so psyched! I psyched myself up and also my partner. We could do this. Yes! We marched purposefully towards the bed of coals. I was so sure of myself.

Now, it was my turn. One of the assistants started to prep me, I looked at the coals and I got nervous. Whooa, could I do this? This feeling of fear was not unfamiliar - I had it moments before I plunged off the bridge, spread eagle when I bungee jumped in California. It reappeared as I stood looking through an open plane door in Pennsylvania, looking out at the sky and mother earth, minutes before I jumped out of the aircraft. I knew I was going to walk on fire. As Tony says, I just needed to dance with the fear. It was there, it was real, but it would not stop me. It rarely does.

A few deep breaths later, positive energy in place, I strode across that bed of burning coals and was greeted with cheers as I finished. Yay! I did it! I am a fire walker. Awesome! Another life milestone.




What's next? Bring it on!!!