Thursday, November 1, 2007

I Pay You...So You Gotta Pay for My Kid's Party


In today's NY Post, there is an interesting piece on David Brooks. He supposedly stole from his company's employee pension fund to throw lavish bar mitzvahs for his children. $10 Million dollars worth of lavish!!!

Who thinks in that order of magnitude for a party?? $10 Million??

See below for the full article:
-------------------------------------
November 1, 2007 -- DISGRACED David Brooks, who allegedly looted his body armor company to throw a $10 million bat mitzvah for his daughter, did the same with his company's employee pension fund to pay Jessica Simpson, Mandy Moore and Barry White to perform at his son's bar mitzvah five years earlier, says the agent who booked the deal.

Brooks, who was denied bail Tuesday by a federal judge, allegedly stole $200 million from DHB Enterprises Inc. to fund his lavish lifestyle. In October 2000, he gave Jeff Allen, co-owner of Universal Attractions, a deposit check for $250,000 for his son, Andrew's, coming-of-age bash, held Dec. 16 that year at the Pierre Hotel.

Brooks signed a contract to pay the remainder of the $500,000 bill before the party. But just a few weeks later, he abruptly tried to cancel the acts and demanded his deposit back, according to Allen.

"I get a phone call from him saying he could get Britney Spears instead for one million," said Allen. "She's on top of her game in 2000, you think she's going to sing at a bar mitzvah for that price? No way." Allen warned Brooks he would be sued if he failed to pay. "Then he tells me, 'I paid with the wrong check, anyway.' I look and it's marked DHB Enterprises Employee Pension Fund.

"I almost fainted," recalls Allen. "He's taking his employees' benefits, pension and retirement, and they don't know the money being put away is being looted for Britney Spears." But Allen refused to return the dough and told Brooks he'd better replace the check with one from his personal account.

"I didn't trust that he'd send another, so I held his feet to the fire," said Allen. Brooks eventually agreed to go through with the party. He even paid $16,000 to have Simpson show up with then-boyfriend Nick Lachey to sing "Happy Birthday" at his other daughter's Sweet 16 party around the same time.

"He ended up sending me the balance of the money and to be honest I don't know where it came from, so many checks come in," said Allen. "My job was to make sure my clients were paid and that's what I did. Whatever he did is his problem." "I don't believe that the information is accurate but I hope that Miss Simpson did more than lip-sync," said Brooks' lawyer, Paul Shechtman.

No comments: