Saturday, January 26, 2008

To One of My Favourites - Sister Maureen Clare



Sister Maureen Clare is one of the greats.

She was principal of Immaculate Conception High School, in Kingston, Jamaica during a portion of my sojourn there. Sr. Maureen Clare was the epitome of discipline, integrity and self-respect. When you saw her you
  • trembled (and then immediately stopped misbehaving),
  • stared in awe or just
  • listened intently to her words of wisdom.

She mastered the element of surprise - you never knew when she would enter your classroom or catch you being naughty. She is/was a formidable force. Sr. Maureen Clare was also extremely witty and surprised you with her sense of humour. Who expected that this strict nun could laugh? Her smile really made my days. She left you feeling unique and cared for. I adore her.


Thank you so much Sister Maureen Clare for the great example you set and for all of your hard work in transforming us - innocent, rambunctious, and eager girls - into powerful, and successful women, always ready to take on and master the world.

Continue to touch and transform lives. You are well loved and respected.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One of my favourites too. Have never met anyone else who could evoke respect, fear and awe all at the same time like she could. Really a special lady.

Unknown said...

This evening I went to pick up my friend who teaches at Immaculate. I waited for her while she completed teaching her biology class. Being in the lab brought back so many memories!! It is no secret to my friends and co-workers that I am a big fan of Immaculate. I credit Sisters Maureen Clare and Mary Catherine for all I learned as a result of being student of that august and noble institution. The discipline still lives on a an important part of my life. I always share stories of Immaculate with my students...they often respond, 'Miss, the school sound well strik!! Mi coulda neva go deh..!!