Thursday, October 11, 2007

Six Year Old Daredevil


I love adventure. As an adult, some of my adventures have included sky-diving, bungee jumping, white water rafting and sleeping/trespassing overnight in an open field in Massachusetts during the winter.

When I think back to my youth, I realize that this spirit of adventure has always been a part of who I am. One of my earliest episodes occurred when I was ~ 6 years old and living in Barbados. I woke up one day and decided that my adventure for the day would be to jump out of a moving vehicle.

After school, my cousin - Julian - (aged 6), my sister - Tessa - (aged 4), and I were waiting to be picked up by my parents' company driver. While we waited, I shared my plans with Tessa and Julian. They were both skeptical, but I was determined that I was not going to jump alone.

Our driver picked us up in a big red van and we opened the sliding door and sat down. We were about 45-mins. from home and I spent the first 1/2 hour of the journey cajoling, begging, and convincing Tessa and Julian to participate in my adventure. Julian finally agreed, but Tessa still hadn't committed.

As we got closer to our house, close enough that I could see the gate, I started to debate whether jumping was really a good idea. With about 2-mins. left before we turned into the gate, I decided it was now or never. I opened the sliding door, looked down at the moving road, and jumped.

As I was rolling on the gravelly road, I looked towards the open door and was excited to see that Julian had also jumped and was similarly rolling around. Tessa stood at the edge of the door, peeking out at myself and Julian, with a look of fear on her face.

Julian and I got up, marvelled at our cuts and bruises and smiled hard at each other. We were so proud of ourselves and what we had dared to accomplish.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Tessa smiled hard at the punishment Keri and Julian were given.

Keri said...

LOL. I just remember standing in the dark (it was evening time), with my head bowed, being lectured by mum and dad AND Julian's parents as well. Luckily, we only got a hard talking to because we had all those cuts and bruises from the road. Haha.

Unknown said...

Don't ever do it again !!!!!!

Unknown said...

I would love to bungee jump and sky dive...however someone will have to push me...cuz i won't do the jump willingly!

Tamii said...

Nobody asked me to jump!

Keri said...

Tamii,

You weren't born yet - but very close to being born.

If you were born, would you have jumped? Question!!

Anonymous said...

crazy kids