Saturday, October 13, 2007

Laugh Lounge, NYC



My friend Nish and I, and a few of his friends, went to the Laugh Lounge in NYC on Friday. We got discounted tickets for the comedy show and figured it was worth a shot. The Lounge is split into two levels - an upstairs bar/lounge area, and a stage with seating for the comedy shows located downstairs.

We were assigned to table 19. There were not many people out that night and as I looked for table 19, I was "interested" to see that I would be sitting directly in front of the stage, right under the microphone. Wonderful. I took my seat and felt as if I was in one of the investigation rooms in a prison. Hot lights from above were shining down on me and I was literally underneath the comedian. Here we go.

The host was an African American guy, 5'6" with plaited hair. He made fun of the small number of people there: ~23 in a room that could comfortably fit ~60. He was pretty good and so were the other acts that night. With my front and center position, I had the honor of being teased about several things:

  • Being happy that it was Friday. Apparently because I said I was glad it was Friday, that meant that I was pissed off with people at work and really needed a laugh or else I would wreak havoc on my colleagues on Monday morning. The comedian said he felt it was his responsibility to make sure that I laughed so that he could save lives


  • Working as a Management Consultant. Comedian wondered what on earth that job meant. You walk into a company, ask someone where's management?, go to management, tell them you are here to consult, then walk out and your job is done


  • Being Jamaican. Comedian mimicked my accent. Asked how on earth did I end up at the Laugh Lounge on a Friday night and what was I doing with the people at my table.

You had to be there to get some of the jokes. I got them and probably laughed the hardest at the Keri jokes.

Here are some of the non-Keri jokes that I liked (and can remember):

  • Comedian was making fun of people who dress their small pet dogs in sweaters. The dog is a sweater - why put one on him? That is like putting a bathing suit on a fish or a viking helmet on a rhinoceros


  • George Bush is like a colour-blind kid with a Rubik's cube


  • Children who are working in sweatshops are not trying hard enough to get out. There is not even a "Help Me" sign embroidered on the back of the clothes they make. No map, no directions. Nothing. Come on little buddy, you gotta help me find you


  • George Bush cutting health care for kids may not be such a bad idea. Kids are stinky and silly. My nephew said to me he loves the colour blue forever. Really, forever? Stupid. I am going to take away your health care


  • However, prisoners have health care. So, if you are sick, go rob a bank and don't try to get away. Get caught, so that you ensure that you end up in prison. You survey prisoners about why they are in the joint: "I killed someone", "Armed robbery", "Kidney transplant"

http://www.laughloungenyc.com/

1 comment:

Angel Brown said...

haha that rubiks cube was funny. Sounds like an evening I would enjoy. I will take u up on these offers Keri when next I'm passing through Manhattan.