Friday, January 19, 2007

A pill a day, keeps the straight jacket away: Mental Vitamin for Procrastination

It starts out as procrastination. It's light, it's fun, it's friendly.

It turns into worry. It's itchy, annoying, but bearable.

It moves on to panic. It's heavy, debilitating and stifling.

It ends in apathy. It's dishonest, delusional and ridiculous.

I have found the solution: stop the procrastination phase early - before it gets to worry - and take action. No matter how small, just act. It's surprisingly easy, satisfying and a big relief!

Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy. ~Dale Carnegie

3 comments:

Angel Brown said...

True True. I agree.

Sometimes lack of good organisational skills allow certain tasks to be delayed. Because we don't allocate the right resouces, set priorities or schedule our time properly it can complicate achieving a goal in a desire timeline.

Unknown said...

Does procrastination lead to apathy, or is it the other way around? Do we procrastinate because we're afraid or because we're lazy?

I think that when I procrastinate on important things, it's because it's been reinforced over the years (get a good result even with procrastination) or because I'm afraid to put my all into something and not get extraordinary results. If you don't do well after having put something off, then you can always the excuse that you didn't really try... But, that's all about fear of failure, no question about it...

Anonymous said...

Karyn has articulated what has characterized my worship and devotion to mediocrity as it relates to my academic pursuits. FEAR OF FAILURE. Procrastination then becomes a decision that I'm going to fail and then a pat on my back as I scrape through that at least I didnn't hit rock bottom. It still results in a failure to maximise or attain that which I have the potential to. I'm off again to seriously consider a different approach.