Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Making the Flight - God is good (again!)

Well, first off I agree with you that pulling an all-nighter the day before I have to catch an early morning flight to Minneapolis probably wasn't the best idea...but you have to remember what I said earlier about passion and my intense focus and all that jazz (See "Setting Up My Blog" post for details)

I was supposed to leave the house at 5:30am for a 7:15am flight out of Newark airport. I went to sleep at 3:30am, no sweat...ever heard of an alarm? I set the alarm for 4:15am so I could do some work before I left , but decided that I could actually sleep some more and work on the plane. I told myself to reset the alarm, and kept telling myself that until I woke up again at 5:33am. Oh, 5:33am? I mean that's good, right? That's considered early morning in most situations....wait!!!, in this panic-ridden situation I am actually 3 mins late for the airport car service. After a couple seconds of more panic, I call the driver who is waiting outside the house - on time as usual - and let him know I am late. Alright, now I dash to the shower (thank God I already packed and had put out 3/4 of my clothes to wear...the remaining 1/4 were downstairs in the dryer). Proud to say, I am out the house in 20 mins flat, with 100% of clothing on.

In the car, I simultaneously
  • cuss myself for oversleeping (I mean it is day 2 of the new year...sheesh!)
  • put on lipstick and watch
  • fix hair
  • zip up boots
  • check time on the clock in the car and on my watch
  • pray to God that I make the flight
  • calculate the impact of not making the flight

while my wonderful driver is carefully speeding to Newark. (Oh yeh, I of course apologized to him for being late - he was so cool about it)

We arrive at Newark airport in 25 minutes, at around 6:34am (typical travel time: 35-40 mins). I have not checked in, the lines are looong, so I walk to the ticket booking desk to try and get on the next flight. Oh ye of little faith! Next flight is fully booked. I spin my wheels for 45 seconds and then decide to do self-check in for my 7:15am flight. It is now 6:45am.

For self-check in you are only allowed carry on luggage. No problem - I quickly trash every drop of liquid in my suitcase, probably somethings I didn't even need to trash. Goodbye lovely hair lotion from Cape Town, South Africa!!! I run to the security line - liquid free - and get through that mob by 6:53am. My gate is C130, I run passed C123...*pant*, *pant*, I think I can, I think I can. I hear the announcement reminding all passengers for my flight that you really must be on board 20 mins before the flight or else you risk...I couldn't hear the rest because I was still running to my gate.

I make it to my gate and there are 3 passengers still with the agent. THANK GOD. Wow. I calmly show my crushed boarding pass to the agent and walk to the plane doorway. My suitcase can no longer hold on the plane so I check it at the door and walk to seat number 20E, a middle seat behind already crying young kids. I sit, put my bag under the seat, zip my boots (which had to be unzipped during security clearing) and thank God again for helping me to make the flight. I am so grateful, and happy and sleepy...ZZZZZZZZZ

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this. When did that mini
Ny reunion take place? Ur writing style is impressive; I actually felt like a fly on the wall at ur house, in the cab, the airport and the plane. I agree with the suggestion that u should send us a link when updates are done; or is it that a daily update will be made?

Once again congrats on the blog!

Unknown said...

I was glued...just hoping for more while reading "Making the Flight.." Overall very interesting stuff and heartiest congratulations. No more Perez.Hilton for me.. all the way and every day with the kerijam blog. Please keep it going.
Love always.

Unknown said...

Where are the posts for January 3rd, 4th and 5th??? Oh my ! I look forward to reading them everyday. Keep up the good work!

Let me give myself a shout-out since everybody got one but me:
Keri says: "Thank God for my sister Tessa who has always been there for me."

Awww, thanks sis.

Keri said...

Tricia and Akwasi, I am figuring out how to send info. when updates are done. Stay tuned. Thanks!

Keri said...

Tessa,

Send me some pictures so I can post them!! I am going to catch up on blogging this week. Thanks for being a daily reader. I will not disappoint you. You are one of the greatest sisters ever!

Anonymous said...

Keri,
Dito ... looking forward to reading more ...
You go girl!!! :-)

Trevor E Smith said...

I never made the time to get involved in blogging until now.
You have made it a great experience.
Your immense talents are clear for all to see. Chip off your mother's block.
!