Monday, March 17, 2008

Entwined with Patience

Talking to you sometimes feels like
I am violently scrubbing my skin with Scotch-Brite
shuddering as the jagged green edges grate continuously over my tender skin
At other times, it is as if I were a
wounded dog, desperately limping for shelter
just about to get to the sanctuary, and then having you
kick me sharply in the gut, more than once,
and the extreme pain just never dissolves into numbness

You make me want to fight
You make me want to rage
You make me want to forget my love for humanity
To forget what I know, and strive to be
Which is a wise person, who is
quick to listen
slow to respond
ready to forgive

But, then I hold on to sanity
I realize who you are
and that having you control anything about me
especially my emotions
is absolute madness
I fight for control
I get angry and sin not
I put you in your place or
I let it slide
I forgive

Ultimately, I am not my own,
but called for a greater purpose
No one said it would be easy
but it is a must,
with unbelievable benefits


Keri S. Smith

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me, Keri S. Smith.

Keri said...

So true. Peace be unto you!

Unknown said...

The author, Don Muguel Ruiz, says..
"Don't take anything personally. Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you wont be the victim of needless suffering."

Unknown said...

WOW!!!! The imagery is powerful. Very creative writing Keri!!!! Would you mind if i were ever to use the first stanza of the brilliantly written poem? In fact I already know the person with whom I will use these words!!!!

Mrs. Smith it is EASTER....BUN...BUN...BUN!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Can we send this one to Oprah for a reading at her book club.
It is time for Keri's poems to be published.

(Reminder to self: "remember, remember to buy ingredients for homemade bun on Wednesday at the supermarket for delivery to special friend on Friday)

Keri said...

I love that quote from Don Ruiz.

Thanks for the support on the poem.

Khaliah - feel free to use some of the language, if it helps to positivey resolve situations :)

I want some Easter bun too! I miss Jamaica...and mummy's homemade bun!

Unknown said...

My apologies..I spelt the author's name incorrectly. Here is the correct spelling: Don Miguel Ruiz

Angel Brown said...

powerful!

Keri said...

thanks :)