Saturday, March 22, 2008

Laundry Day - I just want clean clothes!

Got enough quarters for 2 loads, have all the clothes to be washed in the laundry basket, it's early enough that I should find available washing machines. Feeling good.

Whoah, the machines don't accept quarters anymore. You now need to use money cards. The machine to purchase money cards only accepts $5, $10 an $20 bills. Sigh. Head back up to see if I have any cash. Really don't want to have to go to ATM just to get laundry done. Eureka! I found a $5 bill. Head back down to laundry room.

Sigh. The machine accepts the $5 and then spits it back out. I read the instructions closely and see minimum purchase is $10. I need a break from laundry, it's lunch time.

Post-lunch, I head outside to the ATM. I walk back and re-enter the laundry room with $20s in my pocket. I place a $20 bill into the money card machine. The machine accepts it and then spits it back out. Siiiiigh!! The stupid machine will only accept $10 bills! False advertising!

I head back outside, go to the corner store and swap a $20 for 2 $10s. I then head back to the laundry room...and...I am finally able to purchase the stupid money card!

Wow. Who knew it would be this hard to get clean clothes?

(N.B. Despite the rigmarole, I think the idea of money cards, vs. quarters, is actually more convenient.)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I admire your honesty !!! Haha !!

Unknown said...

Keri, do you really experience these adventures you write about??!!! Your SIMPLE everyday encounters are FULL of drama!!!!

Keri said...

Thanks, mom! You trained me well :)

Keri said...

Hi Khaliah,

It's all true!

Angel Brown said...

Mercy. I have always heard the word but it's the first I have actually seen the spelling. "rigmarole" - amazing.