Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Steam Pipe Explosion - Manhattan

What a scare today!

I work near Grand Central Station in NY and this evening we were told to evacuate the building. We were not anxious at all because we get a lot of these fire alarm announcements - none serious. However, this was the first announcement where they said evacuate. The announcer kept repeating the need to leave, even saying "leave immediately, this is an emergency." That definitely got us moving.

We walked down 9 flights of stairs to get outside, and looked up to see clouds and clouds of smoke - it looked as if a building was on fire. The street was in chaos - crowds were outside, people were taking pics, some people were crying, firing engines and police cars were racing to the scene, I even saw some people covered in mud.

I tried to call family but the lines were busy; however, thanks to the Blackberry I was able to get a few emails out. As I was walking and looking, a gentleman asked me what was going on. We chatted for a bit and both commented that this event really brought back memories. Quite scary, moving and confusing.

I understand that one person has died and there are several injuries, but apparently there was no foul play.

Thank God for life. Hope everyone is OK.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

damn, i musta missed this on the news... .glad you're alright :)

Keri said...

Thank you :)

Unknown said...

I never heard of this incident until reading ur blog. while reading it, it reminded me of the NY blackout a fw years ago...and i was worried about you and Tammi. i remember my anxiety eased after finally getting through to your mom, to ask if she heard from u, and if u were alright.

Thank God all is well, and once again u r safe. U R my OLDEST friend

Unknown said...

Hi Khaliah:
Welcome to the blog...good to hear you...we can hang out more often here. Thanks for your care and concern over the years.

Keri said...

Remember Khaliah likes your homemade bun!

Unknown said...

.....shhhhhhhhh !!! I promised her one two years ago.

Unknown said...

I laughed while reading the three last comments!! i first had your homemade bun at a Brownie outing. i fell in love with it then! Still talk about the best bun I have ever eaten!

I made an error..it was Keri and Tessa, not Tami

Unknown said...

Thanks Khaliah. I have not made any for quite some time and I would prefer to retire from it on a high note. However, if you insist.....hmmmmmmm !!!!