Friday, September 28, 2007

Saving Memories - Enid & Tintin







As a child, I was a big fan of Enid Blyton and Tintin comics (I also loved Asterix & Obelix, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Grimms Fairy tales, etc., but those stories are not the focus of this piece). We lived in Barbados for 4 years of my childhood (I was 4 when we first moved there), and every week (I think either Tuesdays or Wednesdays), when my mother went into town, she would bring us back some new books to read. We looked forward to her return and were always excited to see what new adventure we would explore with Enid or Tintin.

Ah, the memories.

Recently, there was a bit of reality that threatened my lovely memories. I started to think more about some of the characters in Enid's books, e.g. the Golliwog. I also thought about how many of the non-whites were portrayed in Tintin comics. I realized that there was a strong hint of racism, which as a child I was completely oblivious to.

Why? Why? Why? However, I refuse to taint my memories. I still enjoy a good Enid Blyton book and will probably buy Tintin comics for my future kids, continuing the tradition. I will just pretend this ugly side of racism doesn't exist - thinking of it as more of a reflection of that time in history vs. any malicious intent of the author - and continue to revel in the great writing and fascinating adventures portrayed.






8 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting approach. Would you recommend that for other similar situations of propagandism?

Unknown said...

I beg to disagree with your stance. There comes a time when we must stand up for what is right and denunciate what is wrong. Your blog is a great tool that can be used in speaking out against the wrongs of racism. How can we pretend that it does not exist. The next generation needs to be enlightened.

Unknown said...

Amen Alti.
I definitely will not buy nor read another Tin Tin book.

Keri said...

Folks, I will not turn a blind eye to racism. Never! But I will still read Enid Blyton and Tintin. I will educate my kids about the racism that is present in the stories though and share that history with them. They can enjoy the stories and also recognize the inaccuracies of some of the depictions.

Pretend was not the right word. I won't ban those books, but I will add some education on racism to the tradition.

What say ye - David, Althea and Tessa?

Unknown said...

I say there are many other comic books out there without racist undertones. I wouldn't want my children to enjoy any stories involving racism.
There are only negatives associated with racism which they can read about through historical accounts.

Keri said...

Tessa,

That is very true. However, not all of Enid's books have that tinge of racism - remember Bimbo and Topsy? Mr. Twiddle? I think the same could be said for Tintin. I am not condoning racism by any means, but I also don't have to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Unknown said...

The problem is "Buy In". Once an entity has a position of influence, it can effect thoughts on an almost subconcious level. TV, music and other books do it all the time. Racism was not just a feeling or event, it was and is a methodic, strategic, pschological oppression of one race over another. Propaganda was the chief influencer. I would use it as an example, but not entertainment.

Unknown said...

Right that's what I am afraid of. The subconscious level.