Monday, April 30, 2007

So What if I Like (Love) TV Shows for Kids?






It's time for me to "open up the kimono" (this has been the phrase of the month in my business circles, so I figured why not "leverage" it here; leverage is another one of those business buzz words, it has been the phrase of the month for the past decade)...

Back to opening up the kimono: I love kids TV. Disney Channel, ABC Family, Nickelodeon are the primary stations. My love is definitely discriminatory, there are only a select number of shows that make it to my favourites list. I stopped to analyze my current favourites and found the following similarities:

- Yes to witty dialogue
- Yes to humour
- Yes to credible characters, flaws and all
- Yes to non-preachy life lessons
- No to annoying cheese fests (e.g. out with Barney-like mush, out with Mr. Rogers-like smarminess)

And without further ado, here is my current favourites list:

- That's So Raven (Disney Channel)
- The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron (Nickelodeon)
- The Naked Brothers Band (Nickelodeon)
- Zoey 101*** (Nickelodeon)
- Phil of the Future (Disney Channel)
- Sabrina the Teenage Witch (ABC Family, Nickelodeon)

Please don't let my opening up of the kimono go to waste. Sample a few of the shows and let me know what you think. Also, share some of your favourite kids shows with me. I know I am not the only one out there!


***Zoey 101 is somewhat smarmy, but the lead character is Britney Spear's sister and I am hoping that the family will redeem itself with this second daughter. Also, an added plus: the characters are enjoyable

1 comment:

Tamii said...

Well if you insist, let me open up my dashiki:

9 out of 10 times I will choose a kid flick over an adult show. I still wake up on Saturdays and watch my cartoons (anybody else missing "Animaniacs"?? As in "It's time for An-i-man-i-acs. And we're zany to the max.")

My top 5 are:

1. That's so Raven - "it's the future I can seee.."
2. Proud Family - "you and me were always meant to beee.."
3. Kim Possible - "call me beep if you wanna reach meee.."
4. Jimmy Neutron
5. Sister, Sister