Friday, June 1, 2007

It's only a sharpener!


The situation was unbelievable.

I was 8 years old. We were in an after school class at my prep school in Jamaica, diligently working on a problem set in our exercise books. My pencil point was a bit blunt, but I had left my sharpener at home and didn't have another pencil. I leaned over to the classmate on my right:


Keri: "Hi [X], may I borrow your sharpener, please? I need to sharpen my pencil." *I show him my dull pencil point*

[X]: "No." *He looks back down at his problem set*

Keri: "Why not?"

Huh? I am in semi-shock. Kid, do you realize that I am asking to borrow a sharpener? I am not asking for

  • half of your jelly donut
  • any of your banana chips
  • a gulp of your box drink
  • a piece of your icy kisko pop

I am not even asking to borrow a complete pencil! I am asking to use your SHARPENER! I will literally need 45 secs to sharpen my blunt pencil and return your precious sharpener to you. I promise.

[X]: "I don't want to."


He said that or something equally inane. I was no longer listening to him. I was extremely puzzled by the fact that someone could be that mean. After a few more moments I remembered that despite [X]'s wacko behavior, I still had to sharpen my pencil and finish my problem set.

I turned to the classmate on my left:


Keri: "Hi [Y], may I borrow your sharpener, please?"

[Y]: *[Y] picks up his sharpener and hands it to me - all without a single word*


Phew! My faith in the world has been restored. Normalcy has returned to my planet. [X]'s behavior was a mere aberration.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I lent someone my sharpener once and they stole it.

Keri said...

LOL - stop tell lie!

Angel Brown said...

I don't lend sharpeners. I remember i had this kewl round shape one with a razor so sharp it made really kewl shavings and not to mention a good point for after school duels.

Yeah so as I was saying, I lent it to this girl, yes a girl, & she added it to her plastic pink stars bag (i'm sure that's where it is) and I never got it back. since then i haven't lent my out....... when i think of it, maybe i just didn't want the other guys to get their points as sharpe as mine *-) mmmh

Unknown said...

hey Keri, who was it in our class that did not want to lend you their sharpener?

Keri said...

LOL - Khaliah! I could never call the person out like that!! You crazy! Hahah. I have to keep it anonymous :)