Thursday, August 21, 2008

Jamaica does it again...Gold and Bronze in the Women's 200m Final!! I feel good...nahnahnahnaha...so good...so good (sung like James Brown)


Another day, some more Olympic medals for Jamaica.

Is it possible to burst with pride? I hope I don't find out...but I am getting really close.

Our very own Veronica Campbell-Brown won gold in the women's 200m final in Beijing. Veronica - 26 -ran her personal best at 21.74 seconds. Thank you, Veronica. We are very proud of you.

Veronica was thrilled about her victory. She had this to say: "I am very happy. It's great to come out and defend my gold medal. It's been great to see Jamaica get a clean sweep of the sprints. Now I have to concentrate on the relays." That's right Veronica, stay focused!

Wait! We aren't done yet.

Not to be left out, Kerron Stewart, fresh off of her silver victory in the 100m final, got bronze in the 200m with her time of 22.00 seconds. Congrats, Kerron!

Now many have been wondering, how can such a small island nation dominate the world stage in such a phenomenal manner. Well, our Jamaican Track and Field Authorities have said it is because Jamaica is now "looking after its own" and refusing to let Jamaica's best young athletes be poached by U.S. colleges and naturalised in the U.S. Asafa is a great example of this strategy. He did not accept the many offers to move to the U.S. and instead remained in Jamaica and was coached by Jamaicans. According to the Australian Herald Sun, this has "helped stimulate passion about the sport in Jamaica with young prospective runners seeing their heroes stay at home and then dominate the world - this year like never before." Thank God for wisdom!

OK, back to our latest medal winners - Veronica and Kerron. Ladies, let me know when I can join you in the victory dance! Nuh Linga? Gully Creepa? Or as my friend Donald says, maybe an old school Bogle? I hope to partake in our soon-to-be (please Senor Bruce G!!) National Holiday to honour our team's mind-blowing performance in the 2008 Olympics.

Proud to be....every time.

1 comment:

Sando said...

Last Olympics she was magnificent but this time around she is much more. You almost want to cry (no I dont cry) but you sure felt that way. Pride like this overwhelming. These are the moments when you wish "u deh a yaad". I can imagine the festivities.