Monday, July 7, 2008

Clingster

You start to think that only surgery will work
That the sharp edges of the knife will finally free you
Oh the things that so easily beset us!
This one is strong
It comes back when you least expect it
When you thought you had finally conquered it
And what a struggle it is to suppress it!
There is no knocking with this thing, just brutish entry
And then your thoughts are held captive
The Yous struggle for supremacy
and you desperately try anything to get the invader off of you , out of you, away from you
The mental warfare is exhausting...disappointing...frustrating
Oh, to be able to live, think and be without the dreaded Clingster
All you want is to stay focused on what you had
To sustain the momentum
To finally step into that future which beckons so loudly
To partake of that magnificent world that you know is promised to you
And in the end, that is always what helps you, what propels you forward
The future that wants to be realized, pulls you away from the deathly embrace
and for a while, the true You, the better, dominates


Keri S. Smith

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The Reprobate mind!! I got this one.
Nice.
Still down get wet brown though. I dropped the class.

Keri said...

Very good.

And FYI, it's too late in the semester to drop a course. So, I advise you to try again or you will get an "I" for Incomplete.

Thanks,
Prof

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean. Good one!

Keri said...

Thanks!

Tamii said...

Romans 7: 15-25:

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do — this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21 So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God — through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin."